Thursday, January 21, 2010

Concept Mapping

I have been introduced to the term concept mapping which reminds me of webbing. This concept puts many of the different parts of the cognitive learning theory into practice. Information processing consists of several different ways we learn. There can be visual information, auditory information, dual coding, picture label, smell, and epic memory. Concept mapping can include many of these learning styles therefore helping the student be very productive. I will be interested in seeing the concept mapping when I use it in my classroom.

3 comments:

  1. Amy,

    I do think concept mapping was born of the webbing activity that we use often at the elementary level. I have used webbing often, and have used concept mapping a little, but never an electronic version. I am familiar with Inspiration software, and would like to explore using this tool more often in class. I think the easiest areas, as some have mentioned in our class discussions, would be in the content ares, particularly Science and Social Studies. Our next unit in Social Studies is on Native Americans and patterns of migration through United States history, so I figure this should be a great place to begin using concept mapping. Do you have any thoughts on how you will use concept mapping?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy,

    I use concept mapping frequently within my class and I highly recommend them. I have noticed that when I include pictures or visual images within them, the learning is much power powerful. Students really seem to respond better to the information when it is more than just writing. As Pam mentioned above, Inspiration is a great program to use to help you with concept mapping. They have blank templates, pictures, and a variety of other tools that makes the proces much easier. Good luck with them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your posts. I have been wondering how it would work at a lower grade level and your conversation has helped me think of mapping in a different light. We are going to study the human body. I think I will start there. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete